Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Week Two


Wow - what a week!  We both feel like our heads are swimming!  We're still in the British Isles Training, and I'm thinking this should last for at least 3-4 months before we get our "pin" and certificate.  When we finish the "Journeyman" manual, and the "British Isles" manual, we get a pin that is the British Flag to wear.  Anyway - I was glad the week was finished because on Friday we were working on a problem, trying to find a family.  We're only supposed to work 15 minutes, and if we get stumped, we should ask for help.  Well - - - 2 1/2 hours later, we finally found what we were looking for because some sweet sister (wearing a British Flag) stopped and told us where to look.  The library has almost 2,000,000 reels of microfilm, and each film has thousands and thousands of parish records on it.  Some are separated by births, deaths, and marriages, and others have everything jumbled together.  What we wanted was on (something like) film 1,732,006, and when we found that, we had to scroll through to find the approximate date, and then try to read the handwriting of the pastor who did the writing!  SCORE!  We found it!  Closed our books and came home.  It was 5:30 and we were tired!  Next week we're in the official "training zone" where we learn how to do our own geneology.  I'm excited for that.  I think it will be fun - and CAN'T be any harder than what we're doing now!


There is sooooo much to do here.  
Monday night we went discovering around Temple Square and the new construction.  When we went to the Visitors Center, one of the sister missionaries asked if we were going to the Tabernacle Choir concert in the conference center.  We didn't know about it, but hurried over.  It was a tribute to the Armed Forces.  We didn't have tickets so had to sit upstairs, but the music was the same and it was wonderful!  Monday evening was also the 100th anniversary of the Joseph Smith Building/Hotel Utah, and there was a big celebration for that. 
Tuesday we went with the Thomas', a couple from Grace Idaho, who are in our group, to the concert in the park at Brigham Young Park - just east of the COB (Church Office Building).  It was a group called Mountain Blue Harmony.  They were EXCELLENT!  Such good music and very different from anything I've really heard before.  They were VERY tight.
Wednesday evening we went with three other couples who came to our mission with us to the "Mandarin", an amazingly good Chinese restaurant in Bountiful.  It was fun to get to know them better. 
We went with the Goldsberry's from Bountiful, UT- the Pace's from Eagle, ID - and the Fanello's from Gilbert, AZ.   Really fun people.  
Thursday Betty Wood invited us to go to the dress rehearsal concert for the Tabernacle Choir's tour.  They were leaving at 3:00 a.m. on Monday morning!  The concert was in the Tabernacle so seating was limited.  We went an hour early and that was just in time.  We stood in line till they opened the doors and got really good seats.  Again - an AMAZING concert!  It's so interesting to watch the director.  I found myself watching him and the orchestra more than the choir.  I could hear the choir, but watching the others was really fun!
Friday Dick and Melanie Speechly came down and we went to the Red Iguana for dinner YUMMY!  We and a really fun time.  After dinner we went to the concert at B.Y. Park.  (They are every Tuesday and Friday evenings)  The group was Mercy River and they were VERY good, but not as good as the other concerts we've been to.  After we just came home and visited.


OK - home.  I know I complained last week about our apartment but it's really going to be OK.  It's still the ghetto of the missionary apartments, but it's nice enough.  You know how you can tell the ghetto of missionary apartments?  Yes - it's where the Elders live!  They're all over here.  There was one lone sister who came in our group and she lives in the "West Temple" apartments.  She said they moved the sisters out of the Garden apartments.   Hmmmmmmm - should I be offended?  I actually have done laundry, and because it's right below us, it's really not that big of a deal, so things are well and I won't complain any more.  


I have attached (hopefully) some pictures of our "group".  This is everyone who came out with us in the "June" group.  It was the largest group of people who have come to this mission in over a year, and we have more than this going home each month.  Our mission is desperate for senior missionaries!  The second picture is us with Elder White.  He and his wife are our "trainers".  Only problem is that her health isn't good so they're gone a lot.  She's having surgery so will be better soon.


Looking forward to a great week next week in the Training Zone - I'll keep everyone posted.  
 

2 comments:

  1. Elders, they live in the ghetto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - but we decided we have the best of the ghetto! ;-)

    ReplyDelete