Thursday, November 10, 2011

October 28 - November 8

October ??? – November 6th

OK – somewhere along the way I’ve lost a week or gotten mixed up or something.  Not surprising considering what’s been going on in our mission!  First, I’ll tell you that this post will be called the, “You’ve GOT to be Kidding” post.  You’ll see why!

For the past 3 weeks we’ve been in the Patron and Products Services Zone training and serving as Zone Leaders.  It was a fun zone and we really learned to love it there.  Wonderful people and lots of fun things to do.  It really didn’t take long to learn what needs to be done because it’s a small zone.  They don’t have a TON of responsibilities, but the ones they do have are really BIG!  It was fun because we were able to be out and about in the library and get to know a lot of library people and lots of missionaries.  I loved that part of it!  So – we trained for 2 weeks before the Wiley’s left and really felt pretty comfortable with what we were doing.  The Wiley’s left on a Wednesday afternoon, and on Thursday (our first day alone in the zone) afternoon, President Stalvey called and asked if he could meet with us that afternoon.  Of course we said yes and went to his office at about 3:00.  The first thing he said, was, “What did you do before your mission?”  Neither of us knew quite how to interpret that question so we didn’t really answer, but Terry said, “uh – played a lot of tennis?”  I just wondered if he meant because we had been either really good or really bad!  Then he told us that they were changing our assignment AGAIN!  He asked us if we would train and serve as Zone Leaders in the British Isles!  We just looked at him and said, “You’ve GOT to be kidding!”  He wasn’t!  Here’s a brief description of the rest of the story!  The Hunsaker’s had been training for the past 2 months to take over in the British Isles for the Bailey’s when they leave the middle of November.  They have been re-assigned to the Mission Office; he as Executive Secretary to the Presidency, and her as the Housing Director.  Because they have been training for two months in the British Zone to take over there, when they were re-assigned to the office, their first comment was, “You’ve GOT to be kidding!”  The Winn’s are the couple who have been assigned to be Zone Leaders in the Patron and Products Services were called and I think, pretty excited for the opportunity, were told that we (Terry and I) needed some pretty extensive training in the British Isles, and not much time for it.  They were told that they would have two days of training, to which they promptly replied, “You’ve GOT to be kidding!”  So – that’s the You’ve Got to be Kidding story.  The exact words from each of us.  Oh – I forgot to say that when President Peterson told President Stalvey what he wanted to have happen, President Stalvey’s exact words were, “President – You’ve GOT to be kidding!” 

So – here we are now.  Back in the British Isles, but not reading, studying and testing – just training, taking notes and cramming because we only have 2 weeks to learn what the Hunsaker’s had been preparing for 2 ½ months to do!    When I told her that I would be calling her to find out what I was doing wrong, she said, “Don’t call me – I hadn’t learned everything yet!”  I’ll probably be calling Sister Bailey a LOT for a while!  Hopefully people will be patient and understand that we’re still learning!  We’ve gone from studying and testing to helping people on the British Floor, to working with people throughout the library, back to B-2 and doing a lot of administrative work.  Scheduling, re-scheduling, and changing everyone’s schedules!  There are 120 people who need new schedules every week so that will be most of my time.  Honestly – Terry will have to tell you what he does, because I’ve been so into what I have to do, I have no clue what he has to do.  In Patron and Product Services, we did almost everything together.  Here, we will each have our own assignments and work mostly independently. 

One good thing is that last week we got 3 new service missionaries.  We need the new missionaries, but I was also glad that they came so I could learn how to organize everything for new people. 

Just one more thing – Even though it’s another challenge – I feel blessed to be here, and even more blessed that the Lord would trust us (mostly Terry) to assign us to positions of responsibility. 

OK – on to other things!  Last Thursday, we went to My Fair Lady with Hunsaker’s.  It was at the Hale Center Theater and a fantastic production!   Before the play we went to Olive Garden.  I love to go there because I really like their food, but the problem is that I ALWAYS eat too much.  Even though Terry and I shared a meal, I ate too many bread sticks so I was stuffed when we left.  I’m always amazed when we go to that theater that it’s all local talent.  Actors, sets, costumes, directors, everything!  They really do things well and have a quality production.  Honestly, I don’t think I’ve seen things anywhere that are any better.  The only difference between the Hale Center Theater and Broadway is the size of the theater and that’s not always a plus!  I like the smaller theater because it gives the audience more of an opportunity to see and be part of the production. 

Lynzi and Ron went to the show a couple of nights after we did so I was able to baby sit Michael while they went.  It was fun.  He’s a sweet baby!

We also went over to Gregg and Mar’s house one night for a VERY “retro” dinner!  We had French Bread Pizza with green olives and pepperoni!  That’s something we haven’t had since the kids were little!  It was every big as good as I remembered!  I asked Gregg what we could bring and he said “something from when we were growing up.”  (but indicated he LOVES Indoor S’mores) So – I made Indoor S’mores and also made an Almond Puff!  I think the Almond Puff was more for me than for anyone else!  It was fun.  Lynzi and Ron and been to a Halloween Party in their ward so didn’t join us till dessert time.  Theirs had been a costume party and they dressed Michael up as “Waldo”.  He was very cute! 

Tami and her family called and were in Idaho Falls for the weekend doing some shopping and other things.  When they went into the house they could smell something was wrong.  Whoever was there a couple of months ago accidentally turned off the power to the refrigerator instead of the power to the water heater.  I’m thinking it was Laren, who stayed coming and going to a wedding in Canada.  Everyone else is very aware of which switches to flip, but she wouldn’t have been so familiar.  Poor Tami had to completely clean out the refrigerator and freezer of stinky spoiling things.  She’s a VERY good sport to have done that!  I told her that I owe her.  I’m not sure what, but definitely something!  All I can say is that it’s a good thing she is there sometimes to make sure everything is OK.  I can’t even imagine what would have happened if it had gone more time without being noticed.  Heather Maynes comes in periodically to flush the toilets and check on things, but it could have been another month and then would have maybe been beyond salvage!  So THANK YOU TAMI! 

OK – I know there are LOTS more things I should be saying, but I want to get this done and posted – so - - - 
Th-Th-Th-That’s All Folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment