Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sept. 4 - 11


September 4 – 11

GRRRRR!!!!!  If I didn’t feel the need to keep a journal of this mission, I wouldn’t write any more!  I have had ANOTHER blog disaster!  I had my entire week written – pictures and everything!  I had one picture I wanted to delete and replace with another, so I clicked on the picture.  It was highlighted and the menu came up that asked what I wanted to do with the picture.  I clicked “remove”.  RIGHT?????  Not so much!  When I clicked remove, the ENTIRE blog disappeared!  Now I know what you’re thinking – silly old girl forgot to save it!  NOT SO!  It automatically saves itself about every 15 – 30 seconds and I had been watching it save.  I had also saved it manually several times because of my previous experience.  And – may I just add – even if it hadn’t automatically saved, it should have been saved to my last manual saving!!!!!  So – up comes some random window asking me how I like their new format with a comment box.  Needless to say, I filled in the comment box with how much I don’t like either format, and how I’ve lost my entire week’s blog two different times.  I at least thought I’d get back some kind of sympathy e-mail, but NOTHING!  I think they only want to hear the good things. 

Yes - one more thing - - - do you like the underlined text?  That is on and no matter how hard I try, I can't get rid of the underline.  I can go from italic and bold but NOT underline - so you'll just have to put up with that!

OK – enough complaining!  I’ll try to re-create what I said before, but I can only be creative and inventive one time and I’ve used up my quota!

Wednesday was actually our T & R day.  (our monthly temple and research day).  Terry and I both know that we did something besides research that day, but neither of us can remember.  I’m SURE, however, that it was in my original blog that was deleted, so 100 years from now, when someone is reading this, know that we did do something!  We do remember that we went to the Library to work on our own research.  Both of us are working on the “project” for Scotland and we’re both working on our own families.  That makes it VERY hard to come to a completion because when it’s your own family – you just want to keep researching to see what else you can find to document what is in the computer.  (There are LOTS of mistakes in the computer that need to be verified and rectified)  Anyway - that afternoon we were scheduled to do sealings in the temple.  Terry had a name of his own to take.  It was very cool, because it was for James DeAtley and Susan Matilda Wood, his great, great, great, great grandparents.  No one had ever been able to find Susan and prove she was married to him and have the work done.  Now it’s done and they’re happy!  Anyway – the sealings were really nice because we were there with other people from our branch.




Thursday we went on a tour of KSL radio/TV.  It was a gathering for Elder Bailey’s social group, but there aren’t enough of them left to merit a tour so he asked several of us in the zone to go with them.  It was fun and interesting to see their studio.  We met Steven Kapp Perry, the son of Janice Kapp Perry.  He is the announcer for their “Sounds of Sunday”.  We were there on Thursday, and by Friday, he has it totally done and while it’s playing from the computer, he’s home at church with his family.  Pretty slick. 



This is Sister Payne, Sister Trapett and me.  They are two really nice single full time sisters in our Zone.  I really wish I had known about this mission after my Dad passed away so we could have told my Mother.  She would have loved doing this work and would have been soooooo good at it! 




This is Elder and Sister Bailey, our Zone Leaders.  Elder Bailey looks pretty stern in this picture, but he’s really not at all.  He’s very kind and nice.  We really love them!

After the tour, Sister Trapett wanted to walk down the street to the "Mtn. Dew Challenge". It was a dirt biking,  skateboarding, moto-cross challenge.  They actually brought in TONS (literally tons) of dirt and made a big moto-cross course in a big lot across the street from us.  The city blocked off the road for a few blocks and held this huge gathering for people who did not look like us.  I guess that's a way of saying that WE looked VERY out of place there.  We were the ONLY people older than about 35 years old, and definitely the only people with black badges on!  One lady at the entrance told us that we couldn't get to the Greek Festival the way we were going.  Sister Trapett told her we wanted to go into the challenge and she said "really?  I thought you were lost and looking for the Greek Festival!"  I wish we had been.  The Greek Festival would have been a lot more our pace!  Needless to say - we didn't stay too long.  That's the 2nd time we've been in a place where we stood out.  The concert Gregg took us to and the challenge.  Next time I'll take the concert!  
 

Friday was GREAT!!!!!  We got a Face Book message from Becky Rivers saying that they were coming down so they could go see Mary Poppins on Friday evening.  She wondered if we could get together sometime.  So, when they got here, we took them to the Red Iguana for dinner.  They brought Melissa and Haelee.  We had a great visit with them.  We were able to talk about Chris, see pictures of the cemetery and the people who were there.  They told us more about him and his funeral.  We had a good time and I think it was good for them to have the chance to talk about Chris.  We hugged and cried together before they had to leave for the show.  It’s good that they could come down – just to get away and get some different scenery for a while. 




Saturday was when we had our Mary Poppins tickets.  The show was amazing!  We really loved it!  The sets were fantastic, and the special effects were amazing.  At one point, during “Step In Time”, Bert tap danced across the stage, up (literally up) the proscenium of the stage, upside down across the top of the stage, stopped upside down and finished the song, then continued dancing across the top and down the opposite proscenium to the floor!  I don’t know how they made it look so real but it was really good.  When he flew, and also when Mary Poppins flew, the cords holding them were pretty much invisible.  At the end, she flew across the audience and into the balcony right where we were sitting!  It was a GREAT show!

OK – that was pretty much our week in a nutshell!  I saw this quote from Elder Durrant and thought it would be interesting to pass on. 

Family history (genealogy) is not family group record forms, pedigree charts, micro-films, name abbreviations, and technical regulations

These are only tools. Family history also known as genealogy is the study of one's family, the study of our ancestors - their births, their childhood, their dreams, their marriages, their occupations, their children, their deaths.


And because these things in the past all have an impact on the present, in a very real sense family history is a study of one's self. (George D. Durrant)


Sad news – we had put in a request to go with Parry’s, Parry’s, Harris’ and Gardner’s to Lake Powell.  We wanted to leave on Friday after work and then come home on Sunday evening.  We wouldn’t have had to miss any work, so I thought it was a GREAT plan!  Apparently the Mission Presidency didn’t think it was as great a plan as I did and denied our request to go.  I think they’re pretty serious about the 60 mile radius of travel.  In retrospect, we should have told them that we would be going down to see our brothers and sisters, which technically, in a gospel sense, is true.  AND – isn’t that what we’re all about?  The FAMILY?!?!?!  OK –  I know I’m stretching, but we really wanted to go!  NOW I’m starting to realize what they’re talking about when they say “sacrifice”! 

OK – onward, upward and ready for a new week!

No comments:

Post a Comment