Monday, July 18, 2011

July 10 - 17

This has been a GREAT week!  
For the fun part, and pictures - here we go!



Friday evening we got to have Tyson, Haleigh & Cannon come and spend some time with us.  Heather and Mike were in Hawaii.  They had been at Collett's house all week and then came here on Friday evening.  We did some other fun things that I'll talk about later, but on Saturday, we went to Heritage Park.  It's by the "This is the Place" Monument.  We knew NOTHING about the park, but we had seen it advertised on TV one afternoon so decided it would be an experiment.  We told the kids it would be a "Blast or a Bust".  We all decided when we were done it was a BLAST!  It was a pioneer village all set up with people actually playing the parts of the people in the village.  There were lots of things to do and we were really sorry that we hadn't gone earlier.  We got there about 2:30 and it closed at 5:00.  Next time we'll go in the morning, take or buy a lunch and spend the day.  We all went on a tour of Brigham Young's "farm" home that had been moved there from about 13th east and 21st south - in the Sugarhouse area.  It was an awesome house.  I was afraid the kids would think it was boring, but they really liked it too.  After that we "divided and conquered".  Haleigh and I went to a leather stamping place where she stamped her own leather to make a necklace.  Then we were trying to follow a map, and of course - I got lost!  The good part was that we ended up in front of the ice cream shop so we had to have some!  We took a train to find the "men" and found them panning for gold.  A man named Peacock helped us and taught the kids how to pan.  They all did really well and came away with a pocketful  of gold!  This picture is of them in front of a statue of Brigham Young and Joseph Smith.  It was pretty hot and we were pretty tired by the time we took this picture!



On Sunday they went to church with us.  They were really brave!  We told them that there was no Primary, but they chose to come with us anyway.  They had books and a tablet to write in, and were SOOOO good!  After church, we took this picture in front of one of the old cars that is on display in the Joseph Smith Building.  Terry wishes the car was his.  I'm glad it's not!  


This is just one of the water features in the new park between the Joseph Smith Building and the Temple.  It's hard that the area used to be a road!  It's a beautiful walking park and makes the area around the Temple perfectly connected to the Church Office Building, the Administration Building and the Joseph Smith Building.  The church is obtaining a LOT of property around Temple Square, and I'm sure it's so they can have control of what's there and to protect the area.  The HUGE shopping mall to the south of the Temple should be completed before we go home.  From what we can see, it will be amazing!



We were just walking to work one morning and I snapped this picture with my cell phone.  Whenever we have to go over to the JSB or the COB we cut through the Temple because it's such a beautiful, peaceful area.  When I took this picture, I didn't realize it would turn out so beautiful!  Aaron - this is a HUGE photo op. just waiting to happen.  When you  have a couple of days, you really need to bring your camera down and take advantage of it!



OK - I KNOW I keep saying we live in the ghetto of mission apartments - and really, we do, but this is one of the good things about our apartment!  We have beautiful view outside the sliding glass door.  We have a VERY small balcony, but this really pretty view of the courtyard.  We feel blessed for this small tender mercy! 

 THIS - however - - - - 



Is the view of the parking lot out the other side of our building.  Half the apartments have our view and the other have either this view, another parking lot, or the street!  I'm not going to complain any more!  OK - at least I'm not going to complain any more about some thing!  

OK - On to the Rest of the Week.  

Terry and I both completed our "Apprentice" book in training.  Apparently we did it pretty quickly, so that's a good thing.  It was HARD!   I know I keep saying that, but now that I'm through it, I look back at all the things I now know that I didn't know before, and I'm amazed!  We started into our "Journeyman" manual, and our understanding is that we will be through that by the end of August.  When we finish that book, we will get to wear the official flag of Britain under our missionary badge!  I know it sounds corny, but it's really cool!  You'll just have to trust me on that one!  Anyway - this book is learning also, but it really specializes in England and Wales.  When we're finished, we'll also be able to start helping patrons who come into the library searching for family.

It's also fun, because we get a few hours each week that we can do our own research.  We've been adding people to our pedigree chart.  One of the fun websites we've found is:   www.findagrave.com .  It's a free website where anyone can go.  Click on the link and then look on the link to "find a cemetery".  Then enter, "Fielding" and put in United States, Idaho & Bonneville.  When it comes up, enter JaeLyn Nielsen and click on search.  Click on her name at the top of the page, and VIOLA!!!  Look how awesome that is!  Her marker was actually there, but I added her picture after TYSON found page on line.  The other one that is fun to find is "Ben Lomond" cemetery in Utah, Weber County.  Then put in Florence Child, click search, and then click on her name when it comes up.  If you scroll down and look on the left side, you'll see links to her parents, husband, and LaRae.  It's great for genealogy because it shows families.  Unfortunately the markers aren't there for Mom, Dad and LaRae, but next time we go up north, I'm going to take my camera and get pictures.  Then I will post them.  That's just one of the cool things we've learned!

Last Tuesday, we went to the Concert in the Park.  Remember how I say all the time the performers are really good?   OK - well this one, not so  much!  Betty Wood sat with us, and there were several times she and I just looked at each other and cringed.  I know it's not possible to push someone onto key by stretching your shoulder in the air, but we really tried!  We must have looked pretty goofy!  Usually when the groups are finished, they ALWAYS get an encore.  Not Tuesday.  When they were finished, people applauded politely and left.

NOW - on the other hand, we went to the concert Friday night.  It was really fun.  We had made arrangements with some of our missionary friends to all meet in the park at 7:00 and bring a picnic dinner.  We would eat together and then watch/listen to the concert.  It just happened to be Sunshade and Rain.  Our friend Mel Teeples has sung with that group since his college days.  It was fun to see him and to see Brooks.  They look great.  As bad as the concert on Tuesday was - the one on Friday was AMAZING!!!!  They were so great!  The best thing is that we took Tyson, Haleigh and Tyson, and even they liked it.  They were singing a couple of the songs on Monday when Heather came home.  OK - I just thought - maybe they didn't like it and they were just being polite!  Nah - - - it was really good.  After it was over, you could barely get to the table where they were selling their CD's!

As I said earlier, we had the Collett kids Friday evening through Sunday.  It was really fun!  Hint - hint - hint - - - it would be fun to have the other kids come down!  Oh - and if the parents would like to tag along, that would be just fine too!

OK - another week down!  They seem to be moving really fast, which makes me happy and sad!  We're loving this work and what we're doing.  Did you all know that Genealogy is the #2 hobby in the WORLD!?!?!?!  Also - 80% of the people who come into the library to do research are NOT members of the church!  Little known facts that make you say, "hmmmmmm - who knew?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment